Apple Sauce Recipe

It's Fall and time for apples!  I'm reposting my apple sauce recipe because it's delicious and very easy to make.


One of my favorite Fall activities as a child was to go apple picking with my family. There aren’t many orchards where I live now but I still love finding a cider mill to indulge in cider and donuts (yes, dietitians eat donuts too!).

Here is a quick and easy applesauce recipe:
  • 4 apples peeled (if desired), cored and chopped
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) ground cinnamon
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cook on high until water boils. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Stir occasionally and mash with a potato masher or use an immersion blender for smoother applesauce.

Use a soft apple such as McIntosh and you can leave some of the apple skins on for extra fiber, vitamins and minerals. Just make sure to wash the skins well and buy organic if possible.  Enjoy!